How to Upgrade SQL 2014 to SQL 2016
- Mount the SQL 2016 ISO or media on your current SQL 2014 server.
- Select “Upgrade from a previous version of SQL Server”
Part of SQL Server 2016 install.
Select “Reporting Services – Native” from Instance Features
- Backup all databases in case the In-Place Upgrade fails. You will have to uninstall SQL Server 2014 and then re-install SQL Server 2016.
- Decide if you want Standard or Enterprise Edition for Production. Use Developer Edition for Non-Production install. Developer Edition has all the features of Enterprise Edition.
- Make sure you have the license key if this is for Production.
- You must also upgrade SSRS from 2014 to 2016, part of SQL Server install. “Reporting Services – Native” in Instance Features.
- Make sure to backup the SSRS encryption key as well.