User can not connect to SQL Server from a remote computer via SSMS. Ping returns unreachable. When user remote desktop on to server and use SSMS from the server, the user is able to connect to SQL Server.
- Make sure SQL Server Instance is running on the server.
- If multiple instances installed, make sure SQL Server Browser service is running.
- Make sure you can connect to it on the local server via SSMS.
- Make sure Protocol TCP/IP is enabled. If not, enabled it and restart SQL Server.
- Make sure Firewall is not blocking the port.
- Try to ping the server from your computer. If your network is properly configured,
Reply from <IP address>followed by some additional information. If
Destination host unreachableor
Request timed out, then TCP/IP is not correctly configured.