Expanding disk space is a common task for a Virtual Machine. This article describes the process of expanding an existing Azure Virtual Machines Disk. Please note prior to the steps described in this guide, all processes should be shutdown as the the Virtual Machine will need to be stopped and Deallocated.
1. Using the left Navigation select “Virtual machines”. Locate the Virtual Machine to upgrade and click its name.
2. Stop the VM
3. Select “Disks” from the left navigation window of the Virtual Machine.
4. Locate the disk which needs to be expanded and click on the disks name.
5. Alter the “Size” field of the disk. Please note Azure VM’s allow disks up to 2 TB, additionally disks can only be increased in size not decreased.
6. Start the Virtual Machine